Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Sibling rivalry

It was bound to happen. Once the kids could play together, they would naturally learn how to fight, too. Case in point, Andy was building a "road" with his big living room blocks. Meg decided to get in on the action by finding the biggest block and promptly sitting on it. Andy cried/whined and then pushed her off. She then came appealing to me for intervention. I'll admit I'm not sure what to do with all this. My options here are:

a) Try to get Meg interested in something else or out of the room.
b) Get Andy to be okay with her in the midst of his "work."
c) Discipline Andy for pushing her and let her have the blocks.
d) Have another glass of wine.
e) Some combination of the above.

Thoughts?

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:43 PM

    Option D.... I find that it works for all occasions.
    Armando

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes best not to intervene and let them work it out. As long as there is no bloodshed, they'll learn the boundaries. Pushing is bad, but so is sitting on your brother's blocks. It isn't always pretty. This is where the glass of wine comes in handy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with Wendy. My approach is to say, "You guys work it out. Quietly. Or no TV for a week."
    I have found that it is much more effective when there's a hook for both, ie no TV for anyone.
    Chris
    www.ChrisMoreau.com

    ReplyDelete