Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Just ignore the pregnant lady

I went to the OB's last week. It was a regular 28 week check-up, complete with glucose test (to my surprise, the orange drink didn't taste so bad.) It was a Friday so I had Andy with me. The doctor's office was unusually full. There are probably eight chairs in the waiting room and all eight chairs were occupied -- two by men. I checked in, noticed there was no seat and had to stand there with Andy for about five minutes before one of the guys had his cell phone ring and he got up and left. Apparently being great with child and with a toddler doesn't get you a seat any more.

Seriously, guys, it's an obstetrician's office! I know you're not there because you're the patient. Plus, both of you were probably 30-years-old or so. I appreciate that you're nice enough to go to the doctor with your wife/girlfriend, but being a little less self absorbed would be a good thing. I was also surprised one of the wives/girlfriends didn't nudge a guy out of his seat.

When I went back to the exam room, I mentioned to one of the nurses that they ought to get more chairs. Her reply, "Or one of the men could GET UP." That made me think about how awesome it would be for one of the big black nurses to burst through the door and make a skinny white guy get out of his seat.

---

Andy has been a darling this week. I don't know if his ears feel better or if he's just in a better place, but I haven't felt like smacking him once in the past few days. Well, I take that back. Monday night he decided to wake up every 15 minutes and scream for one of us. That wasn't so great. I don't think he's having night terrors since he seems more or less awake when one of us goes in, but they might be scary dreams. I think he's really starting to dream and sometimes he wakes up and in confused about what's going on. I have tried to talk to him about what dreams are and seeing things in his head/eyes when he's asleep, but I'm not sure it registers.

Despite his (and our) lack of sleep, his language continues to pick up. His new word is dangerous. Bjorn and I are both impressed since it's three syllables and he seems to use it properly. He can also spell a few words, like stop signs, "S-T-O-P means STOP!" Bjorn even taught him that T-A-R-G-E-T spells Target. I took Andy over the weekend and he spelled and then read it to me. I was most impressed that he was really reading until Bjorn said they'd practiced it. Still, he's making progress. It's pretty exciting.

--

Today is our nine-year wedding anniversary. How crazy is that? We looked at pictures from the wedding over the weekend. My, how young we looked.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:42 AM

    Speak for yourself! I'm as fresh and dewy today as I was on your blessed day. At least that's what I tell myself after a couple of glasses...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see this on the subway too. I know it's super crowded, but those priority seats are supposed to be for the disabled or people having a hard time getting around, aka, very pregnant ladies.

    Chivalry is dead in DC.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Once Jack learns to spell, I am so S-C-R-E-W-E-D.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous3:54 PM

    Coupla things: Chivalry is dead all over, but *PARTICULARLY* in DC. Tommy (now 5) learned early on that saying he was having a "Scary Dream" would garner sympathy at midnight but he cried wolf once too often and now that avenue has been shut down.
    Chris
    www.ChrisMoreau.com

    ReplyDelete