Monday, May 14, 2007

An Open Letter to the Disposable Diaper Industry

To Whom It May Concern:

I am a big fan of the disposable diaper. The technology is vastly improved over what I used during my brief stint as a teenage babysitter. The velcro tabs are genius -- huge improvement over the plastic tabs of yesteryear that easily got stuck on the wrong spot. The absorption is also amazing. I have changed some two pound wet diapers on occasion and I have been amazed that the outer core was still dry.

With all this brilliance, why do you have to screw up when it comes to the sizing of things? And don't you think it's time for a size 7 diaper? My 2 1/2 year old son is a decent sized kid. He's 3 feet tall and about 30 pounds. He's not huge though - he's still in some 18-24 month shorts because his waist is fairly small. Although size 6 diapers technically begin at 35 pounds, my son has been in them for about six months because your size 5 diapers cleverly don't hold very much. Unfortunately, your size 6 diaper doesn't hold much more.

The size 6 diaper cracks me up. First off, you are clearly geniuses. Once you get to size 6, you stop selling diapers in your generic or lesser brands. There are no size 6 diapers from Target, Costco, Sam's Club or Wal-Mart brand. Once you hit size 6, you have to go back to your more expensive name brands - Huggies, Pampers and Luvs.

Then you get into the so-called overnight diapers. Huggies sells a line, but it only goes up to size 5. At this point, I believe I'm supposed to be transitioning to the pull-up style diapers, but the 2T-3T pull-ups are too big around the legs. So even if they were as absorbent (which they're not), they leak around the legs. As my mother would say, "that's a design flaw."

I know the obvious answer is potty training, but my son isn't ready yet. That should be good news for you. The longer you can keep him in diapers, the longer I keep supporting your industry.

So diaper manufacturers, I implore you. Please create a size 7 diaper or start selling overnight diapers in size 6. Or if you prefer to stick with your pull-up style diapers, figure out how to improve the gathers around the legs to prevent leakage.

The laundry and I thank you in advance.

10 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:16 PM

    Pampers has Size 7 now

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:16 PM

    pampers has size 7 now

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous12:17 PM

    Pampers came out with Size 7...you are in luck it should be at your local stores soon, or just call and ask your store to stock them

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous12:02 PM

    Pampers size 7 has been a disappointment in my opinion, they are not much bigger than size 6, I a called Pampers and was told they are bsically the same size just more absorbant. I agree they are more absorbant but I have two bedwetters and diapers don't leak like pullups at night. Also size 7 is in Pampers Cruisers only, I think the Pampers Baby Dry is a better dipaer but only goes to size 6.

    Tired of Soggy PJs

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous7:58 AM

    I agree 100% with your post! I have a 2 year old and have just transitioned to size 6 but my biggest issue is that it is much harder to find the extra large case of pampers in size 6/7. I appreiate you taking time to post. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous1:52 PM

    Totally could not agree more! This is so frustrating to me. My son is 16 mos. (obviously not anywhere near potty training) and is 30 lbs and 3 feet tall. So he's not a fat kid, just a big kid. We're almost done with the Huggies overnights at size 5 and that's the main reason he sleeps 11-12 hours at night, because he isn't wet.

    It's time for diaper manufacturers to keep up with the reality of kid's sizes. NOW!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just found this post because I am frantically searching for size 7 diapers (and since my son is only 15 months old, I'm wondering if I should be asking about 8s as well!) Did you try the Pampers? How were they? I haven't seen them in any stores, I guess I'll have to order them online. BTW. I'm a native Texan living in Columbia, MD. Huh, looks like we have more than diapers in common (saw your profile) :-). Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  8. The good news was that Andy slowed down so we never did ever need the size 7s. I do understand you can order them online though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous8:04 PM

    my son is 2years and 4 months old, not ready for the potty yet even though we are trying. I had no idea there was a size 7!!! Thank you I will try to find them

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous10:49 PM

    I'm searching for the size 7s for my son.. he'll be 3 in July, and ppl have mistaken him for a 5 yr old due to his size.. yet he's not anywhere near potty trained... we've been trying for about a year now.. it's hit or miss. Now the size 6s are almost too small... Iv'e been debating trying to get the 'small adult' depends for him.. and cringing at the prices.

    So far I've not seen any size 7 diapers in my area, I'll keep an eye out, thanks for posting!!

    CMS

    ReplyDelete