Thursday, August 09, 2007

Opposable thumbs

Andy has figured out the locks on our doors. Sadly, he has figured out how to lock me out of the house as well. Yesterday I had started boiling some water on the stove and stepped outside for 2 minutes to turn on the water to try to revive my plants that are melting in the 100 degree days with 70 percent humidity we've been having all week. Andy said he was content playing in his kitchen although as soon as the door closed apparently he changed his mind because seconds later, I tried the kitchen door and it was locked. From the inside. Where my house keys and cell phone were. D'oh.

Fortunately, after about 30 seconds of coaching he figured out how to unlock it, but those were some pretty tense 30 seconds.

I've been saying for some time we need to find some type of permanent hide-a-key for the carport. We've tried it over the years for Mark, but he would use the key once and lose it so after a while there simply weren't any extra keys to hide. I think Andy is telling me I need to revisit this idea.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:47 PM

    This happened to my neighbor a few years ago. She came to my door, crying, telling me her year old son accidentally locked her out when she went to check the mail. Terry went with her around back to see if he could figure out a way into her back basement door, while I stayed by the front door, hearing the little boy crying from the other side. I could hear the little boy still fiddling with the knob, and I kept turning the handle, just hoping he would accidentally unlock it--which he did. It was pretty scary for a few minutes, and made me realize that I should definitely hide a key outside once Jack gets a little older.

    Jenn K

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1:33 PM

    K,
    I'd like to contact you about a cnn.com story on new motherhood.
    Please e-mail me: Georgiann.Caruso@turner.com

    ReplyDelete