Saturday, March 29, 2008

The land of sleep and poop

Meg is really working on her sleeping. Thursday night, she slept eight hours at a stretch, to the shock and surprise of everyone. That would have been awesome had Andy not been up every hour coughing and crying. Last night she slept from 10 to about 3:45, not quite six hours but there is definitely a trend in this. I hope it keeps up when we go home Monday.

Andy, however, is still avoiding his afternoon nap and throwing everything off. Unfortunately, it makes him so ornery by the evening if he doesn't nap that it's terrible for everyone. Thursday my friend Susan came over with her boys and at about 8:30, he was whining and crying so much I finally put him in his bed and said I'd be back in 20 minutes to tuck him in. I came back in five minutes and he was already asleep. Yesterday, I tried putting him down for a nap in the room with my sister and Emma thinking that the peer pressure would work. It didn't. But about 4:30 when I was getting my hair cut (finally!), he conked out on the couch in front of the TV for about two hours after throwing a huge fit. I am missing the routine of school to sort of keep his day and nights in order.

With the warm weather in Dallas and us being on vacation, I thought I would take this as an opportunity to really work on potty training. Andy can clearly pee on the toilet. He usually needs to be prompted, but when I get him there, he can go. In fact, he can often go hours with a dry pull up. Sadly, the kid can't avoid pooping in his diaper. Or underpants. Earlier in the week, I switched to underpants during the day. I reminded him over and over that he was wearing big boy underpants and that he had to tell me when he needed to pee or poop. He managed to pee at my mom's, at my sister's and at IKEA. However, he also managed to poop in his underpants. Twice. And if you thought cleaning up adult caliber crap from a diaper was gross, imagine having to clean his butt, jeans and underpants in the bathroom at IKEA. Yuck city. I did this for days and I just can't get him to crap on a toilet, no matter how many bribes I offer. Any suggestions, Internet?

No comments:

Post a Comment