Sunday, June 20, 2010

The 36-hour adventure, or why buying a house is harder than it looks

I flew to Dallas on Friday for a 36-hour trip so I could look at the finalists in the house hunt and hopefully make an offer on something. It was quite the whirlwind. It didn't help that Meg had decidedas  sleeping in her crib is for babies and under penalty of death or Benadryl she is not going to stay in there. That meant I was going on like six hours sleep for the whole thing. I know, no pressure there.

It was so cool to look at the houses though. We have found a neighborhood we like with great schools and apparently a very good football team (it is Texas, ya'll). My biggest complaint is apparently Texas wants to put the master bedroom on the first floor. That might be fine if the kids were six and nine, but with Meg and Andy both still getting up too often for my taste and the thought of them also falling down the stairs at 3 a.m. doesn't thrill me. It also has wallpaper -- the bane of my existence. After spending seven years here removing wallpaper, I vowed never to do it again. And then I fell in love with a four bedroom, four bath with a pool, a study and a three car garage. It will be heaven. Assuming we can negotiate a deal. You know, before we leave for a two week trip on the other side of the world.

The whole thing is coming together. Well, at least the big pieces like the jobs and selling our house (fingers crossed it closes!) Things we still have to do include buying a house, packing and moving. I swear, we've talked to a dozen movers and each one seems crazier and more expensive than the rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment