Sunday, June 20, 2010

Post No. 398568 about my kids' sleep habits

One of the things no one tells you about having kids is that for the next 10 years, you will talk about sleep. The thing about it is, I really like it. And I really don't like it when the kids decide I don't need it.

Case is point, Meg is too big for her crib now. She can get out of it (and/or throw herself out of it) so it's time. I knew this which is why months ago I bought a big girl bed for her that she promptly refused to sleep in. Then the house went on the market and the toddler bed went into the attic. But now, she and I are having a stand off about it. Last Thursday she cried and wailed and threw herself out of the bed finally in a stand off that lasted hours. I finally got her to sleep on my bed and then transferred her to her room where the crib mattress was on the floor. Around 5 a.m., she "fell out of bed" and wailed and wailed. I picked her up and brought her into my bed where she proceeded to kick me and flop her head on my boobs for about two hours.

Tonight, I tried to get both kids to sleep in Andy's room. He's got an adorable loft bed and the bottom bunk is really just a mattress on the floor. Perfect. I started bedtime around 8:30. We read two books and then left. I tried this for about 45 minutes until Meg kept getting out of bed. I tried to take her back into her crib and she pretty much hooked a leg on the crib rail before I could get her in there so I knew that wouldn't work. I took the mattress out and put it on the floor. She cried for a bit once she realized I have a baby lock on the door handle preventing her escape. I told her I was going to lock up and I would come check on her in five minutes. Ten minutes later, she was asleep. Phew!

The bonus of this whole exercise? Andy went to sleep before 10. Sadly, he hasn't done that in a long time.

Oh, and speaking of sleep, props to Jennifer. She babysat the kids while I flew to Dallas and I believe graciously helped fix them. She also took them to the mall for Pillow Pets. I can't believe I actually bought something because of an annoying ad during kids TV shows, but they are really pretty cool.

1 comment:

  1. George wants a pillow pet! I looked online just before Christmas and they were sold out of everything. You can buy them at the mall? Where?

    I was just lamenting Mary's sleep as girl woke three times last night- the last was for an ugly doll (which she did not get). I am wiped! oh. forgot to tell you that cuz it has gotten so hot here, folks mow early here too. Idiots.

    ReplyDelete