Thursday, February 08, 2007

Shoes, letters and tantrums

It's official - I have now spent $30 on a pair of kids' shoes. I had tried to avoid it as long as possible, but I finally broke down and did it, buying a pair of Merrell shoes from Nordstrom. In my defense, I did have $20 left on a Nordstrom gift card. He has been wearing a pair of hand-me-down Stride Rite brown saddle oxfords that I love (and Bjorn hates, naturally), but he has now outgrown the size 6 shoes. I figured he needed another somewhat nicer style shoe, you know, for all the formals and proms he goes to, or more likely the occasional event where just sneakers wouldn't be enough.

Andy continues to amaze me with his numbers and letters as well as his ability to throw a temper tantrum. He now proudly can point to A, O and Y when he sees them. Just this morning he pointed out about half the letters on my George Mason t-shirt and managed to get most of them right. He also points to things and counts them. He can usually get to four or five before he starts skipping to seven or nine. I'm quite impressed. Similarly, his ability to just throw down and have a temper tantrum is impressive. I guess I thought a tantrum was him jumping up and down demanding more ice cream, but his is different. Rather, he just starts to scream/cry hysterically often because he can't have something (like going outside when it's 20 degrees). I try to be mindful that he's like that when he's tired and hungry, but in those situations, usually he won't let me feed him or console him to calm him down. It's not his most attractive moments, nor mine for that matter.

4 comments:

  1. Those shoes are totally cute. Jack has a similar pair, and I like them because they are as comfortable as sneakers and look good with both jeans and khakis.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:32 AM

    He's screaming and crying because you're a bad mother. Kids his age never have temper tantrums so you must be doing something wrong...

    ReplyDelete
  3. My sons current tantrum technique involves wailing through the house, and slamming his bedroom door. I am wondering if he ever needs to throw a fit in public, what he will use as his replacement props.. ROFL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Damn man!these shoes are good..will be very nice with jeans..will be cute for my boy friend.

    ReplyDelete