Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Beach, baby



The beach at Chincoteague is actually Assateague National Park and Wildlife Preserve. The nice thing is the feds keep is clean and in good working order. The negative is it's not right on the island (a short drive). I had good fun boogie boarding in the water and Bjorn bought a cool kite to fly. The waves were just enough for me, but Andy wasn't so keen on them. He did like the sand so long as he didn't have to walk in it. His favorite though? The shower. Go figure that we'd drive all that way for him to love that water. The hotel, a Comfort Suites, was just as I had read. It was nice enough while in the town, with a view, clean and with a friendly staff. It was a suite so we had a little more room and a balcony overlooking the Chincoteague Channel so after bedtime, we sat up watching the fishing boats and watching the bridge traffic. I also bought a copy of Misty of Chincoteague, which I reread last night. It's a corny story - good thing I didn't know that as a kid. We did see the wild horses though. They are in bands on Assateague as well as in a few places in town. The town was an ecclectic mix of locals, retirees and tourists. My favorite was the "His and Hers Seafood and Bait Shop." I guess if you don't want to eat it, maybe a fish does.
The drive wasn't bad. Andy slept a good bit and I managed to need a pit stop at just the wrong places and therefore encounted some of the nastiest bathrooms in the entire DelMarVa region. On the way back, we hit the Premium Outlet Mall on the other side of the bay bridge where Andy got some clothes for fall at the Carters and OshKosh outlets.

1 comment: