Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Talking

I swear Andy is this close to talking. It's pretty amazing actually. He still has a few nouns mostly that he throws out there, like cat and light, but now he's starting to put strings of words together. I swear last night he went "I want some more." Of course, it didn't actually sound like that. More "um um sum more," but still, it's there. It's like it's right on the tip of his tounge, if he could just wrap it around just perfectly. Now I find he'll give me a concerned look and then start to tell me something. It doesn't necessarily come out as something I can understand, but he's right there trying to get his point across. Rather amazing actually.

He's also getting better at nodding yes or no to things. So I can ask him if he wants milk and he'll nod yes and walk to the fridge. And, amazingly enough, tonight I asked him if he wanted to go to bed and he nodded yes.

Being a kid must be a totally weird experience. Imagine getting dropped in Siberia (or the Bahamas or Texas, it doesn't have to be cold or unwelcoming necessarily) not understanding the language or even how to communicate to get what you want. It must be totally overwhelming sometimes. I guess that's part of what makes it so special when he and I realize we can finally communicate.

1 comment:

  1. I think that when little kids first learn to count, not everyone can understand them, maybe just mom or dad. So maybe he really did say "I want some more," just not very clearly. That's cool. Nice work, Andy!

    ReplyDelete