Monday, October 23, 2006

House of Martyr

High drama in the house today. My regular babysitter needed today off, Bjorn's out of town and it's the really, really busy season at work so I hired a friend's former nanny to sit for me today. I was worried about the hand-off, but the promise of Jack's Big Music show quickly distracted him. She said the only time he got teary all day was when she moved Coltrane quickly and he seemed upset that she was hurting him (why I don't understand since we're always moving Coltrane). That was all perfectly nice and then he and I proceeded to have a nice evening. Until the bath.

Actually, 9/10 of the bath was great, but as I was luring him out of the tub, he slipped and hit his head by his eye. And started bleeding. I quickly scooped him up, wrapped a towel on his body and started applying pressure. He calmed down pretty quickly and after a couple minutes, it stopped bleeding. In the meantime, I had time to call Bjorn several times, my mother and sister and none answered. After more mild panic, I assessed that it wasn't emergecy room worthy, but could probably use a bandaid. Of course, no kid-friendly band-aids were handy so we headed out to Rite-Aid for a sampling of adhesive tape, New Skin, butterflies and band-aids. And after all that, he refused to keep the butterfly on. It actually looked so much better by then that I just put some Neosporin on it and it seems fine. The swelling is mostly gone and through it all, he was less worried than I was. I've decided to reassess in the morning to decide if he needs a trip to the doctor. I however need a drink, but I'm going to settle for Benadryl to hopefully combat the cold and allergy symptoms I've been having for a week.

No comments:

Post a Comment