Sunday, October 15, 2006

Pull-ups suck

Andy likes to drink water before he goes to bed. It's our fault for offering, but he seems to find it comforting and I didn't see much harm in it. Except that the water intake can exceed the level of absorbency in his size 5 diaper. He doesn't seem to need to move up to a size 6 (the final frontier in diapers) during the day, just at night so I thought I'd try out some of those "overnight" diapers. We bought some Pull-ups from Huggies that say "extra absorbency for nighttime." Seems logical, right? While the size 2T-3T seem to fit him alright, it turns out they leak. And by leak I mean flood.

I came in to his room about 1 a.m. this morning to find him sobbing hysterically because he was soaking wet - his bed, his pajamas (top and bottom), his blanket. And to add insult to injury, it's cool here right now so we was wet and really cold. Poor guy. He was still kind of asleep as I pulled him out of bed to change his clothes, wipe him off and put him into something warm again. Since his bed was soaked, too, I put him in bed with Bjorn while I changed the sheet and got dry bedding. Poor little guy was so scared of all this (I don't think he ever all the way woke up) that he sobbed hysterically with Bjorn and didn't calm down until I put him back in his bed and rubbed his back until he stopped the convulsive breathing. Even then, Bjorn had to go in about every 10 minutes after that to settle him back down. It was sad.

The only upside is he slept until 9:30. I don't want that trade off, but 9:30 a.m. is like sleeping until 1 p.m. for an adult. Even after a big night, it just never happens. So we're officially breaking up with pull-ups. Perhaps I understood their purpose wrong, but somehow I figured extra absorbent for nighttime meant it had more absorbent power than a McDonald's napkin.

I

3 comments:

  1. Avery's butt is so big we're at the point of moving her (at 13 months) into size 6
    I'm scared that she's such a big girl, what happens when she's too big for the 6's ?
    they dont make'em any larger unless we get into the adult diapers lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous4:19 PM

      we all get there at some point!

      Delete
  2. Anonymous4:20 PM

    mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm 13 months with a big butt i want her n--ed in my bed i love baby

    ReplyDelete