Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Injury report

Andy didn't sleep well last night, mostly due to Miles lingering in his room, and he woke up with his eye a little more swollen so we went to the pediatrician's office just to be safe. She said it looked fine and that I'd made the right call not to take him to the ER (nice to get independent verification of my mommy skills). She said they might have made a case for stiches, but that looking at it, it didn't need it and that the whole ordeal would have been more traumatic for everyone. She said the thing to look for in cases like this are that he cries immediately (a sign that he's not in shock), that the bleeding stops quickly and that his pupils don't seem dialated. She thought that the swelling was partly caused by him lying down overnight so the blood had a chance to pool. The instructions were to put neosporin on it a couple times a day and try to keep him from picking at it. I felt better after that.

His babysitter was so sweet when she saw him. Unfortunately, he's taking to clinging and crying during drop-off, which is particularly traumatic for me. Today, since I was already running late, I went in and the three of us talked and played together. He hugged me for a bit, then hugged her and then me again, then her, at which point I left. He clearly likes her (he certainly doesn't hug most people), but right now this is sort of freaking him out.

No comments:

Post a Comment