Monday, September 04, 2006

Little Swimmers = leakage

Swim diapers are a joke. It's required at most pools that kids who aren't potty trained need to wear some type of diaper, mostly to keep the big stuff from getting into the pool and contaminating the whole thing. There are a couple manufacturers of them, but most common is Huggies Little Swimmers that come in convenient Finding Nemo patterns in blue boys and pink for girls. The problem I have is that they don't absorb anything. I get that you can't use regular diapers because they're so absorbent that the kids would nearly drown with the weight of the absorbed water, but can't they absorb something?

Case in point, we went to Viv's on Sunday with the goal of swimming. Unfortunately, the cool weather sent the temperature of the pool down to a brisk 71 degrees - too chilly for swimming even after a couple of beers. Andy was already in his swim diaper and when the dogs barked and scared him, he jumped up to my knee and peed - all over himself and me. Nice. Since the diapers are just pretty pieces of plastic, it didn't soak up any on the urine so it came out everywhere. Not pretty. I, of course, had a change of clothes for Andy, but it never occurred to me to bring a change for myself. It wasn't pretty.

I think for next year (assuming he's not a brilliant 2 1/2 year old who has already potty trained himself), we're going to opt for a suit that has a washable diaper inside. Heck, it can't be any less absorbent than the Huggies.

4 comments:

  1. It's especially nasty when you notice that there's poop "in" it, after you've set the kid on your hip and all the water oozes through the poop and down your leg. Yes, it catches maybe hard tennis balls, but not the nasty ooze.

    Maybe next summer you'll be potty trained and won't have to worry about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. by which I mean HE'LL be potty trained. I assume you already are :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm so with you!! we had many leaks at the beach. all of them right on me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i agree with the leaky little swimmers

    ReplyDelete