Saturday, September 16, 2006

What part of no don't you understand?

It's a fact - Andy doesn't quite understand what no means. Well, he gets it when I tell him no, but if I ask him if he wants something, he automatically says no even if it's something he really wants, like to watch Jack's Big Music Show or to have a sippy cup of milk. He has two versions of no - one is the straight up, rational "no," as if you asked if he wanted crushed pepper on his salmon and he did not. The other is a whiny "noooo" that he utters when I try to do something he doesn't want, like take away his tricycle or put a toy away. I've been trying to work on him saying "yes" when that's the proper answer, but when I do, he just smiles that smile of, "You can say whatever you want, crazy lady, but I don't believe a word of it." I have a feeling I need to get used to that look.

He's picking up all sorts of more complicated words though (in addition to goddamn). He can now say football and banana. He also loves to say "wow." That one is just precious. Half the time when I give him something he wasn't quite expecting, he pauses to say "wow" in a hushed voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment