Friday, September 30, 2005

Fraternity of Motherhood

I was out this morning to have coffee with a friend at a coffee shop/restaurant in Old Town when a nice young woman came in with her two kids, aged like 3 and 3 months. She started to head to the bathroom only to realize that the bathroom is all the way down a flight of pretty narrow stairs. I offered to watch the one in the stroller while she ran downstairs. She thought for a second and conceeded that would great. She was gone all of five minutes (probably would have taken her 20 with both kids). Funny how these things work. I guess other mothers generally trust other mothers more than some folks. The fact that I was with my kid and we were both about the same age and white probably didn't hurt, but still. I can't decide if I would have done the same as that lady, but I felt honored that she did trust me with her kid.

No comments:

Post a Comment