Friday, March 10, 2006

Kindercare

I went and looked at another daycare today. I thought I'd seen them all in my general area, but I passed this Kindercare on my way home the other night. Turns out the address is Burke and not Fairfax, which threw me off since I thought Burke was the other direction. I e-mailed with the director and set up a time via phone with someone else only to show up and have the woman not excited to see me since it was clear she had no idea I was coming. The place was fine, but I was a little thrown off to see the toddler room (2-3 year olds) with 10 kids sitting in front of the TV. I'm not against TV one bit, but I'm not sure I want to be paying someone else to park my kid in front of a TV all day. I was also a little turned off that the ratio of teacher to student goes up to 10 to 1 starting at age 3. I did like that they seem to do lots of art projects, but I didn't get to talk to any of the teachers really. My favorite is still the uber-expensive Merritt Acacdemy although as I look around, I'm liking where he is more and more. I like that it's a family atmosphere so he sees the same person every day. I like that the older kids really like him and were cheering when he started walking, much like older siblings might (or should anyway). We'll see. We're not in Merritt yet so I guess we'll just stick with that we've got, even with a longer commute, at least for the short term.

1 comment:

  1. Are there any colleges near you? We're enrolling Jeffrey in the day care program at RIT in the fall. They have preferred enrollment for students' children, but also permit the general public. Teacher to Student ("Friends", as they call it) is 6:1 at the oldest group, and they do sign language with even the earliest tykes. That's likely the influence of having the National Technical Institute for the Deaf on campus, but it's something we were already interested in. Best of all? No TVs that we saw during our tour.

    Maybe Andy might enjoy something like that. The one drawback we found was that, because they're funded by the school, money for field trips is pretty scarce. Excursions are limited to places on campus, but it's a pretty big campus, so that's not too bad. I hear the field trip to the ice cream bar is a favorite.

    ReplyDelete