Monday, March 06, 2006

Uffda!

More steps today. In fact, I put him down and he stood for about 30 seconds, then turned and shuffled three steps to me. I was so excited. He them promptly refused to show Bjorn his performance when we got home. He's getting there. It's really fun to watch.

So the hunt for Swedish/English books continues. The funny thing is that now I'm on the mailing list for all these specialty shops like the Scandinavian Marketplace in Hastings, Minnesota, that sells imported Scandinavian goods. It's a whole new world of random products. Apparently "Uffda" is some nonsense word that Swedes, mostly in Minnesota and Wisconsin say as an exclamation. Since Bjorn's family is from Sweden, they don't get the joke. There are all sorts of things in this catalog that aren't funny to me, that someone must get. Like the "Lutefisk Buffet" book? Not for me, thanks. Or the "Six Basic Lutheran Church Basement Food Group Trivets" (where the food groups are hotdish, jell-o, funeral meat, pickles, egg coffee and bars)? I do wonder what egg coffee and bars are, but I don't think I need to own this charming set. Although perhaps the "Scrap Lumber King" hat and t-shirt would make an excellent birthday present for someone?

Update: I've asked around and apparently "Uffda" is not Swedish, but Norwegian and roughly translates to "Good grief." Here's a link for more information - http://www.lawzone.com/half-nor/uffda.htm.

No comments:

Post a Comment